16 February 2007

Here we will Stay

The great Palestinian poet, Tawfiq Zayyad wrote a number of resistance poems that have been passed from word to song to deed and thus immortalised. The inspirational song by Ahmad Qaboor, 'Unadikum' (I call to you!) was based on a poem by Tawfiq Zayyad.

Here is a rough translation of 'Unadikum':

'I call to you all:
I take your hand and hold it tightly.
I kiss the ground on which you place your feet.
I know that for you I would give my life.
My life I would give for you.

I offer you the light of my eyes,
The fire of my heart:
For this pain that I suffer
Is only a small part of your pain.

I never have sold my country
And I have been willing to serve,
To face the invader with steadfastness and courage,
An orphan willing to die.

Carrying my people on my shoulders,
You will see my flag raised high,
And a mountain clothed in the green of the olive branch
For those who will come after.

I call to you all!'

'Unadikum' is a call to all the people and not to an individual. 'I call to you all!' Indeed, this call, given wings by the music of Ahmad Qaboor, has echoed through the world, inspiring and continuing to inspire steadfastness and Resistance wherever it is heard. (A link to the right under the section entitled 'Music for Palestine' will take you to a page where you can listen to the song.)

This was not the only poem by Tawfiq Zayyad that has inspired the Palestinian people. My own personal favourite is 'Here we shall Stay.'

'Here we shall stay:

In Lydda, in Ramlah, in the Galilee,
We shall remain
Like a wall upon your chest,
And in your throat
Like a shard of glass,
A cactus thorn,
And in your eyes,
A sandstorm.

We shall remain
A wall upon your chest,
Cleaning dishes in your restaurants,
Serving drinks in your bars,
Sweeping the floors of your kitchens
In order to snatch a bite for our children
From your blue fangs.

Here we shall stay:
Singing our songs,
Taking to the angry streets,
Filling prisons with dignity.

In Lydda, in Ramlah, in the Galilee,
We shall remain,
Guarding the shade of the fig and the olive,
Fermenting rebellion in our children
As is yeast in the dough.'

English does not carry quite as much eloquence as the original Arabic lines, but the power of Tawfiq Zayyad is indisputable, and his poems have been translated, read and sung in other languages, inspiring a new generation to hold fast to the cause of the Palestinian people.

Tawfiq Zayyad lived under impossible conditions. In order to remain within Palestine, he was forced to accept the insupportable: he was a Palestinian who had to carry 'Israeli citizenship' in order to bear living witness to the continuing existence and presence of the Palestinian people within that part of Palestine that had been declared a 'state' by the Zionists in 1948.

He lived during a period when the Zionists almost had been able to convince most of the world to accept their lie of 'a land without a people for a people without a land'. It is only because of the determination and steadfastness of Palestinians who remained inside Palestine decade after decade under intolerable conditions of persecution and discrimination that the world now is aware of the existence of Palestinians as a people with a continuing right to self-determination.

Most Palestinian activists who continued to live within the Zionist entity's self-proclaimed 'state' were only able to do so through the Communist Party, an accepted political party within the Zionist political framework. Tawfiq Zayyad in fact served as a member of the Zionist 'Knesset', the spurious 'parliament' of the invaders. When he first became a member of the Knesset, his Hebrew was very poor. When asked where he had learned to speak Hebrew, he responded: 'In your prisons.'

For those of us who could not bear to lend any appearance of legitimacy to the illicit Zionist entity even by participation in its 'internal' politics, the choices that individuals like Tawfiq Zayyad were forced to make are extremely distasteful, but we must recognise that, without the continuing presence of Palestinians in Nazareth and Haifa as well as every other inch of land occupied in 1948, the struggle for Palestine would be severely weakened.

The United Nations recognises that the continuing occupation of Jerusalem, the West Bank and Gaza is illegal. It is vital to remind the world that Palestine is NOT divisible, and that the Zionist occupation of 1948 is as illicit as the occupation of 1967.

I salute Tawfiq Zayyad and all Palestinians who sacrificed and continue to sacrifice their pride to remain: 'in Lydda, in Ramleh, in the Galilee'. One day, the lands occupied in 1948 and the lands occupied in 1967 will be united again as Palestine and the Zionist foreign government will be no more than a terrible memory.

From the yeast in the dough the bread will rise. From word to word and deed to deed, Resistance against Zionism will become an unstoppable tide to sweep the land clean.

8 comments:

Fleming said...

UMFALASTIN continues to grow beautiuflly -- not only in your eloquent posts but in the valuable resources listed in the right column. I am going to plan to spend at least an entire day looking at those links.

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Mafish Falastin.

But if ye will not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you, then shall those that ye let remain of them be as thorns in your eyes, and as pricks in your sides, and they shall harass you in the land wherein ye dwell.

(Numbers 33:53-56)

The Arab thieves should pack their bags because they have no future in the land of Israel.

Nabila Harb said...

I am glad to see a Zionist supporter posted a comment that proves that the ancient Hebrew invaders of Canaan were as racist and as determined to obliterate the native inhabitants as the current Zionist occupiers.

If you want to quote biblical verses at me, bear in mind that it is a poor substitute for facts!

Naj said...

Hi Nabila,

Thank you for clarifying your comments over at Flemings. I also explained to you a bit of my POV.

We do agree on a lot of points, except on one:

I do not believe in an Ummah; becausse if I think in that way, I am just acting like an opposite pole to the Zionist.

I want to be a human first, and then a muslim second.

Now, I am not a muslim. But Palestine is my problem too! I think the WORLD should stand up for palestine, whether it is muslim or not.

And I also dislike the concept of religious states, be it Israel or Iran or the US of A.

I do fully agree with you, that regardless of nationality, it is time for all the people of middle east, including teh Israelis, to stand up to the inhumane colonialists, who are not wearing ther Nazi uniforms anymore (perhaps never wore them in public) but who are continuing to wreck our world!

Devoted to peace, I stand by you!

nuh ibn zbigniew gondek said...

As salaam alaikum,

I am a Canadian Muslim writer of short fiction, poetry and ‘daily news commentary’. Come by inshallah for a quick read when you have 59 seconds or so.

Wa salaama,

nuh ibn

nuh ibn zbigniew gondek said...

As salaam alaikum.

Thanks for coming by my blog today.

Don't forget jumah prayer.

If your too busy I've got my two pence and a khutbah up come on by:


Wa salaama,

nuh ibn

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently discussing about how technology has become so integrated in our day to day lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further advances, the possibility of copying our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about all the time.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://quizilla.teennick.com/stories/16129580/does-the-r4-or-r4i-work-with-the-new-ds]R4 SDHC[/url] DS BB)

Anonymous said...

You can disagree with Zayyad's political choices, but your condescending tone is pathetic.

Zayyad was one of the great leaders of the Palestinian people, and he wasn't "forced" to be a communist. It was his pride, because the party is forged by the working class - Palestinian and Jewish alike.

This alliance for him was both symbolic and practical, and is the only future for our land.