07 February 2024

Al Halat al Ihtidar al Tawila

This is an old song by the incomparable Khaled al Habr entitled: 'Al Halat al Ihtidar al Tawila', 'Long State of Dying'. I am posting it now because tragically, the words remain as true now as they were decades ago

Thanks to my friend from Nazareth who, at my request kindly sent me the words of the original poem, 'Mazameer' written by Mahmoud Darwish. 
The translation is mine and I am happy to be corrected.

'Long state of dying:
It took me back to a street in the neighbourhood of my childhood.
You brought me into homes, hearts, an ear of wheat,
You gave me an identity.
You made me a cause.
Long state of dying...
It seemed to them
That I am dead,
And the crime depends on the songs.
They passed by, but did not pronounce my name,
They buried my corpses in files and in coups,
And they moved away.
And the country I was dreaming about,
It will remain the
country I was dreaming of.

It was a short life 
And a long death!
I woke for a little while
And I wrote the name of my land on my corpse
And on a gun.
And I said:
This is my way!
This is my guide
To coastal cities.

And I moved...
But they killed me,
They buried my body in files and coups and moved away.
And the country I was dreaming of,
It will remain the country I dreamed of.

I am in a long state of dying,
Master of sadness,
And tears from every Arab lover...

Singers and preachers multiplied round me,
And on my corpse poetry and leaders grow.
And all the national language brokers,
They applauded.
They applauded.
They applauded,
And have banquets.
Long state of daying,
Long state of dying.
It took me back to a street in the neighbourhood of my childhood.
You brought me into homes, hearts, an ear of wheat,
You made me a case,
Gave me an identity and heritage.'

حالة الاحتضار الطويلة
أرجعتني إلى شارع في ضواحي الطفولةْ
أدخلتني بيوتاً
قلوباً
سنابل
منحتني هويَّه
جعلتني قضيَّه
حالةُ الاحتضار الطويلةْ.

كان يبدو لهم
أنني ميّت، والجريمةُ مرهونةٌ بالأغاني
فمرُّوا، ولم يلفظوا اسمي.
دفنوا جثتي في الملفّات والانقلابات،
وابتعدوا.
(والبلاد التي كنتُ أحلم فيها -- سوف
تبقى البلاد التي كنتُ أحلم فيها).

كان عمراً قصيراً
وموتاً طويلا
وأفقتُ قليلا
وكتبتُ اسم أرضي على جُثَّتي
وعلى بندقيَّةْ
قلت: هذا سبيلي
وهذا دليلي
إلى المدن الساحليَّةْ.
وتحركتُ،
لكنهم قتلوني.
دفنوا جثتي في الملفات والانقلابات وابتعدوا.
(والبلاد التي كنتُ أحلم فيها --
سوف تبقى البلاد التي كنتُ أحلم فيها).
أنا في حالة الاحتضار الطويلةْ
سيِّد الحزن.
والدمع من كل عاشقة عربيَّة
وتكاثر حولي المغنّون والخطباء
وعلى جثتي ينبتُ الشعر والزعماء
وكل سماسرة اللغة الوطنيَّة
صفَّقوا
صفَّقوا
صفَّقوا
ولتعشْ
حالة الاحتضار الطويلةْ
حالةُ الاحتضار الطويلةْ
أرجعتني إلى شارع في ضواحي الطفولة
أدخلتني بيوتاُ... قلوباً... سنابل
جعلتني قضيَّة
منحتني هويَّة
وتراثَ السلاسل.

No comments: